tisdag 16 april 2013

Spiced Banana Oatmeal

I love cooking this when I'm woken up in the middle of the night by my neighbours partying next door and find myself hankering for some food. It's warm and comforting and uses so few ingredients that I can make this with my eyes closed. I suppose normal people would probably consider oatmeal as breakfast food but whatever. Do as you please. Meals need not be confined to societal norms and such and I for one take great pleasure in doing all the things I know I shouldn't.

This recipe makes just enough for one person. The addition of ricotta gives this dish a definitive lightness and I stir it in, but just enough so that it is still quite lumpy. When I close my eyes I like to imagine that I'm tasting the clouds.



Spiced Banana Oatmeal

1 dl instant oats
2 1/2 dl milk
1 tsp honey
a pinch of salt
a pinch of ground cinnamon
a pinch of ground nutmeg
1 banana, sliced
1 dl ricotta
5 toasted almonds, roughly sliced
1 tbsp honey, extra for drizzling

Combine oats, milk, honey, salt and spices in a small pot.
Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low and cook for about 2 minutes.
Remove from heat, stir through half sliced banana and ricotta.
Spoon into a serving bowl then top with remaining banana slices, slivered almonds and honey.

Cathy Xiao Chen

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar